Lighting - Do I have to have string hanging from my bathroom ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm re doing my bathroom and would love to have a real light switch rather that annoying pull cord. Does building regs allow a 12V or battery powered wall switch?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Yes, if the supply for the 12V is not within 600mm. from a vertically line from the edge of a bath or shower.

You can have a normal 240V switch if more than 600mm. from a vertically line from the edge of a bath or shower.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, if the supply for the 12V is not is within 600mm. vertically from the edge of a bath or shower.

You can have a normal 240V switch if more than 600mm. vertically from the edge of a bath or shower.
Isn't it horizontally EFL ?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I din't know that - so I could leave my new bathroom light switch as it is? Room is 2.3m wide, shower will be 1.1m max, with taps on the far wall, and basin also about 2m away.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So hang on, I can put a normal 240V wall switch as long as its 600mm away from bath/shower?!?

Why have I NEVER seen this done? (not in UK anyway)

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"Condensation doesn't care about zones." - from another forum.
That is something to think about ...

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"Zone 2
Requires electrical products to be IPX4 or better, or SELV with the transformer located beyond zone 2."
https://www.rm-electrical.com/technical-resource/bathroom-zones-explained/

No idea if that is correct or safe, I just Googled it!
But that is Zone 2. Sounds like the OP's switch is outside zones.

Note that there is an over-arching reg that says that stuff must be suitable for the environment that they are installed in. No problem for a standard wall switch in a largeish, well ventillated bathroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really want a dimmer to create that perfect mood :) All my circuits are RCD protected. Thanks for the zone's link good info, now to find a water resistant switch

Sponsored Links