Lighting - Do I have to have string hanging from my bathroom ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm re doing my bathroom and would love to have a real light switch rather that annoying pull cord. Does building regs allow a 12V or battery powered wall switch?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, if the supply for the 12V is not within 600mm. from a vertically line from the edge of a bath or shower.

You can have a normal 240V switch if more than 600mm. from a vertically line from the edge of a bath or shower.

Last edited:
Yes, if the supply for the 12V is not is within 600mm. vertically from the edge of a bath or shower.

You can have a normal 240V switch if more than 600mm. vertically from the edge of a bath or shower.
Isn't it horizontally EFL ?

Sponsored Links
I din't know that - so I could leave my new bathroom light switch as it is? Room is 2.3m wide, shower will be 1.1m max, with taps on the far wall, and basin also about 2m away.

So hang on, I can put a normal 240V wall switch as long as its 600mm away from bath/shower?!?

Why have I NEVER seen this done? (not in UK anyway)

"Condensation doesn't care about zones." - from another forum.
That is something to think about ...

"Zone 2
Requires electrical products to be IPX4 or better, or SELV with the transformer located beyond zone 2."
https://www.rm-electrical.com/technical-resource/bathroom-zones-explained/

No idea if that is correct or safe, I just Googled it!
But that is Zone 2. Sounds like the OP's switch is outside zones.

Note that there is an over-arching reg that says that stuff must be suitable for the environment that they are installed in. No problem for a standard wall switch in a largeish, well ventillated bathroom.

I really want a dimmer to create that perfect mood :) All my circuits are RCD protected. Thanks for the zone's link good info, now to find a water resistant switch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back