Want To Blankoff Bathroom PullCord and Have a Normal Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!
I had my pull cord in bathroom moved to better position because of door in the way of pull cord when opening door the pull cord was behind the door! So it was extended and where the pull cord was originally has now been boxed off and a bit of trunking used to extend wiring so i could move pull cord over! now ive decided it might of been nicer if I had extended the trunking out of the bathroom instead and then i can put a normal light switch!

I want to know is it ok allowed safe! to have normal light switch instead of pullcord but the light switch would be installed out of the bathroom for odvious reasons? Any advice appreciated.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
randydevilad said:
Hi all!
I had my pull cord in bathroom moved ... where the pull cord was originally has now been boxed off and a bit of trunking used to extend wiring...

My god what a lashup!! :eek:

... is it ok... to have normal light switch instead of pullcord but [outside] the bathroom...

Absolutely. But don't re-route the switch cable in trunking fer goodness'sake. Get a local sparky to do it properly.

why do you want the switch outside? Its allowed, yes, but IMO, it's really quite dangerous! Someone walks past outside the room and turns the light off - while you're in the shower. You finish the story. If you must do this, dont have a 2-gang switch for this light and the landing light - that is a recipe for disaster.

Sponsored Links
randydevilad said:
Whats wrong with using trunking?

not very elegant, especially if you can get into the loft and run the cable out of sight above the ceiling.

the swith will look neater outside of the bathroom! it will have nothing to do with the landing light and its unlikely to be switched off by someone else due to the design of the flat im in! it will be the only switch showing and it will be hairly odvious to which room it is for! I will be only using a normal switch plate that u feed the live into.

well i don't have a loft grin as i live in block of flats and only easy choice is trunking! as for elegant well its functionality im after realy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back