Replace & relocate existing pull cord switch in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,

I have a pull cord in my bathroom which operates the light.
I had an extractor fan fitted a few months ago which is also pull cord operated.
Now we are painting the bathroom the other half has decided that the twp pull cords look unsightly & would like a on/off switch outside the bathroom as opposed to the pull cords.

Not seeing the wiring he has done i assume he has taken a feed etc for the fan from the existing light pull socket on the ceiling or from the light unit itself ?

Will i be able to fit a double switch with neon outside the batroom with just extending the wires down to the new switch ?

Please advise.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Load of unnecessary pointless work. You are better off with the pull switches so you have full control once you are in the bathroom.

Does the fan have a timer?

What purpose is the neon to serve?

There is no timer on the fan, so it stays on until you pull the cord to turn it off.

Neon will allow you to see that fan has been left in, but this isn’t important but just a thought.
The wall is plasterboard.

There are several ways that he may have provided the switch. In principle you could provide wall switches.
Note that the fan switch may not be a regular light switch. It could be a double, or even a triple pole switch. You’ll only discover what by examining the pull switch wiring.

Sponsored Links
Tomorrow if I unscrew the fan switch casing at the ceiling and take a photo will that then tell you.

I thought no switches were allowed in the bathroom hence the pull cord type being installed ?

I thought no switches were allowed in the bathroom hence the pull cord type being installed ?
So do many people but it's completely untrue.

Wall switches permitted provided they are at least 60cm from the edge of the bath.

@ipbr21054
Is there a reason why you don't want to have just one switch, that turns on both light and fan together?

Only for the reason when the toilet is used at 3am we don’t to hear the fan.

Fan is new.
Also if you have a shower at lunchtime you wouldn't require the light to be on,hence separate switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back