pull cord switch to fan and light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a new pull cord switch for my bathroom light and extractor fan but i have three red wires 2 black wires a yellow and a blue but the pull cord only has an l1 l2 and a com so i think i need to get a different pull cord how do they wire and what pull cord type of switch am i lookin for

Sponsored Links
You will probably need a 'two-way' switch or a 'double-pole' switch depending on -

Is there another switch that operates the same light?
Was the fan operated when the light was turned on?

I presume you didn't make a note of how the old switch was wired?

Edit - Were any of the wires in a separate connector?

From the description, it could just be one cable bringing power to the switch, one running to the light, and one (red/yellow/blue) to the fan. Or it could be power in and then continued elsewhere, and the 3-core loops to the light and fan.

Sponsored Links
i have a new pull cord switch for my bathroom light and extractor fan but i have three red wires 2 black wires a yellow and a blue but the pull cord only has an l1 l2 and a com so i think i need to get a different pull cord how do they wire and what pull cord type of switch am i lookin for

You'll need to open the fan up and tell us what coloured wires go where on the fan.

There is a way that it should have been wired, but let's be certain before we lead you down the wrong path/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back