Pull Cord Switch COM and L1 both red wires, which to which?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just added a new pull cord switch to the bathroom with just a central light. Took the old pull cord switch down and didn't make a note of which wires were connect to the L1 and COM.

The wires I need to connect are one red and one black with red tap around it and obviously the earth!

Does it matter which wire goes to the COM and L1 as it is a pull cord switch. The new switch has a L2 but I guess I just leave this alone.

Wish I knew a little bit more about electrics!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
DIYerHELP said:
The wires I need to connect are one red and one black with red tap around it and obviously the earth!

It's not obiously the earth at all. It's either live or switched live.

Connect one of them to COM and one to L1, which way round does not matter.

DIYerHELP said:
Wish I knew a little bit more about electrics!
That's why Part P of the building regulations prevents you from doing what you're doing*

slip

*dependant on where the pull-switch is located. probably the bathroom.

Thanks Slippyr4 I wasn't sure if it mattered with one went to the COM and L1. For good housekeeping which one would be best to go the the COM the red or the black with the red tape?

Cheers for your help!

Sponsored Links
The purists would put live to Com and switched live (the red tape on the black cable indicates it goes live when switched) to L1, but as said, it makes no difference.

Slipper,

I don`t think he was suggesting that the black taped as red was `obviously the eart' - I think he was suggesting that he needs to connect the red, the black taped red and the earth. Apologies if I have it incorrect but emphasises why punctuation is so important. Perhaps the OP can confirm.

Also, straight replacements are not reportable, even in SL's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back