Replacing Bathroom Pull Cord

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Our bathroom pull cord switch has given up the ghost and needs replacing.

The pull cord switches on the bathroom light and an extractor fan (which also has it's own isolation switch).

I've taken the cover off the existing pull cord and bought a replacement and just want a little advice.

Current install looks as below

1.jpg

Wiring diagram for replacement appears to contradict the existing wiring, (ie shows Black to L2 and Red to com terminal).

Is this due to the wiring diagram for the new switch being based on lights only and not the additional complexity of an extractor?

If I replace the existing I assume I need to wire it up identically as it is right now?

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
Ignore the instructions - the wire color does not know what voltage it is carrying.

Wire the new switch with the the same wiring connections as it is now:

+ Keep the two black wires joined together in the screw block terminal.

+ Put one red wire on one side of the switch (normally marked COM) and
+ Put the other one red wire on the other side pf the switch (normally marked L1 or similar (I think currently in A1)).

SFK

Last edited:
Ignore the introductions - the wire color does not know what voltage it is carrying.

Wire in same way as it is now.

Keep the black wire joined together in the screw block.

Put one red wire on one side of the switch (normally marked COM) and Put the other one red wire on the other side (normally marked L1 or similar (currently in A1 I think)).

SFK

Thanks - just what I suspected but wanted to be 100%

Will take necessary precautions before changing etc

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back