Provision for spotlights in the kitchen

If it's a lot of effort to move all the existing cables to the one of the downlight positions, then don't bother. I know I suggested it, but not essential.

Or move them all to multiple downlight holes depnding on where they reach to and just run a 3&e round all the fittings carrying L-SL-N

Sponsored Links
Do I then pop some junction boxes on the ceiling? Where the four holes are

certainly put a loose junction box on the first light for the supply.
The cables between each light could be left disconnected and sorted later.
tape together so they don't move/get lost

The junction box would need to fit thru a light hole.

THese videos maybe of help with measuring.

presumably the Earth wire is wired into the spot light much like the Live and Neutral are?
Of course! The earth connection must be carried through from supply to last fitting:
Why?
How could you test the EFLI unless you had an earth?
How would you subsequently connect a Class I fitting if there's no earth? (your new spotlights may need to be earthed)

The earthing point was in response to this
And make sure all earth wires at the lights are joined together.

I wanted to clarify this as I know that the earth wire needs to be connected to the earth on the light fitting.

Sponsored Links
presumably the Earth wire is wired into the spot light much like the Live and Neutral are? I tend to use the blue connector plugs with spotlights
Yes.

I mentioned this because so many DIYers don't seem to bother connecting earth wires on downlights, for some unknown reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back