Replacing flourescent lighting with spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a 5 foot flourescent light fitting with spotlights in my kitchen but the ceiling has been artexed around the casing of the light fitting so I really want to fit the spotlights in the same position on the ceiling so that I dont have to redecorate the ceiling, but i'm having trouble finding a spotlight fitting that has a 5 foot casing with it, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do, hope this makes sense, lol.

Sponsored Links
You won't find anything with the 'exact' same footprint.

Could I suggest that you match the footprint of the tube fitting with wood (even if its 6mm deep), paint it and then mount the spots on the finished wood base.

The alternative is to get rid of artex (carp stuff) by getting the ceiling skimmed and start again with a nice flat, smooth ceiling surface.

I don't think such a thing exists, and even if it did, it'd probably be an ugly solution. Either have that part of the ceiling artexed to match, or come with with another solution. You could cut a sheet of MDF significantly bigger than the old fitting, batten it off the ceiling by a couple of inches, paint it and then mount the spots to it as a feature.

Sponsored Links
Remove the existing fluor fitting, use your creative talents to swirl the Artex into the blank area with Pollyfilla or similar, repaint the ceiling white and you'll soon forget the light was ever there. Buy a few new electronic slim fluor fittings and fit them on the rear of the top of your wall-cupboards, wire and go. The light will be bounced off the ceiling. I use a 36w and a 16w on each side of the kitchen. Reasonably priced to buy, lasts forever, cheap to run, nice ambient light, no crappy expensive 'designer' spots to dust, pay for and constantly replace bulbs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back