ceiling light on wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3 spotlight bar light fitting on the wall. One of the bulbholders failed (burnt connector) so I want to replace it with something that will cover the area where the bar sits to the wall to save redecorating.

I can find loads of 3 spotlight ceiling bar lights but not as many for the wall.

Is there any particular reason a ceiling one can't be put on the wall. The fitting goes over a breakfast bar in the kitchen presently.

I see no reason why not, but thought I'd ask.

Advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Ha. I'd not thought of that, I shall look into whether available. It's a GU 10 bulb so I'll look see. It seems an easier solution!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ordered a GU10 lampholder, thanks!

Out of interest are there particular reasons why a ceiling light and walllight could not be fitted interchangeably in either location. Obviously some aesthetically would not work, just wondering if there are different regulations?

It depends on the design of the fitting. I general I would expect it to be ok but there are some designs that need to be a certain way up for the ventilation and heat dissipation to work correctly and these may overheat if used in the wrong orientation.

It depends on the design of the fitting. I general I would expect it to be ok but there are some designs that need to be a certain way up for the ventilation and heat dissipation to work correctly and these may overheat if used in the wrong orientation.
True- but, in practice, I would have expected that any such problems would be 'the other way around' - i.e. I would have thought that any risks of overheating would be greater with ceiling fitting than wall fitting. Also, bar-mounted spotlights can often be moved around into almost any orientation, regardless of what surface they are attached to.

Kind Regards, John

The only time ive noticed nowadays is with round (magnetic) 2d fittings, the base is marked top.
This maybe for cosmetic bulb orientation, but it also sites the hot choke to the top.
This was also the case with bc bulkheads purely to prevent heat damage to the lampholder.

So in cases were it matters, the instructions or base usually indicate top

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back