Spotlights in small ceiling area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I could do with some advice regarding positioning of spotlights in a small ceiling area.

The room to be lit is approx. 2.6M square, but has been kitted out with floor to ceiling wardrobes. This leaves a ceiling area which is 'L' shaped and sized as shown below. My initial idea is to have three spotlights in total, comprising a single spotlight in the top section of the 'L' (Black spot marked '1'), and two spotlights in the wider section at the bottom (marked 2 & 3). The spotlights will be wired to a dimmer.

To gain some symmetry with the walls, the two 'bottom' spotlights (2 & 3) would need to be 582.5mm up from the bottom wall (so they are on the centre of the 1165mm dimension), and spotlights 1 & 2 would need to be 545mm from the left side of the ceiling space so that the top spotlight is central to the 1090mm dimension. In this instance, if spotlight 3 was then set 545mm from the right hand wall (to match the distance of spotlight 2 from the left wall), this would leave only 460mm between spotlights 2 & 3. Would it be better to place spotlight 3 closer to the right hand wall (marked with dimension 1165), so as to increase the distance between the two bottom spotlights?

Alternatively, would it be better to just have two spotlights, one in position 1 and a second one centred in the space between 2 & 3? The room is to be used as a dressing room so good light is necessary.

The spotlights proposed to be used are 3000K, 600LM, 6W

Any advice on setting these would be much appreciated. Everything i have looked at online seems to reference very square, ordinary ceiling spaces!!

All dimensions are mm and show the area of visible ceiling (i.e. inside the line of the coving on the bottom and right hand walls. The wardrobes are outside this area.

upload_2022-4-17_23-20-31.png

Sponsored Links
Here’s what happens. You spend ages agonising on downlight positioning. Even sending a detailed diagram to some Internet forum.
Then you make a decision.
Then you find that the house has other ideas. That pristine white ceiling poster board is supported by all sorts of woodwork.
There’s a reasonable chance that the joists will run in a line between 1&2, or 2&3. That will really make you swear, especially if you have drilled several 2”holes in the ceiling before finding this out. (And bear in mind that you may need to leave a gap between the edge of a joist and the downlight. There will be securing spring clips that need to have clearance too).
Your first job is to determine where the joists, pipes, cables etc are located. That will often make the decision for you!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back