Provision for spotlights in the kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to renovate my kitchen in the next 6-12 months and as part of this, wanted to fit some spotlights into the ceiling. I had assumed that the ceiling will need to come down at that time to allow me to cable and position the new lights.

A blessing in disguise: I am renovation the bedroom above the kitchen and have a few boards up to alter heating pipes. I am thinking that I could lay the cables now in anticipation of spot lights in the future. This will save me replacing the ceiling.

Q. How can this be best achieved please? I want it to be safe and easy. Ultimately, I will want to do away with the single light pendant in the middle of the kitchen and only have 4 spot lights spaced out around the kitchen.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you want to be able to see to do anything in your kitchen I would not advise you to use four spotlights

This is in addition to some other lights I have in the cooking part of the kitchen. I like the spotlights from an aesthetic point of view

Ok why not fit them now whilst you have the carpet up and floorboards up in the bedroom?

It's a bit excessive to bring a ceiling down to fit four spots unless you are planning to replace the ceiling anyway

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of putting the cabling in now given that I’ve got the carpet up in the room above. Ideally, I’d like to fit the lights in 6 months time when I get around to doing the entire kitchen. This is assuming that I can safely terminate the cabling in the interim.

It would be easier to install the downlights COMPLETELY now, if possible.

Be aware that if the kitchen has tall units the downlights need to be at least 30 inches from the wall.

Best to get all the existing wiring to go to one of the downlights, to avoid joints that can't be accessed later.

TIP: Before drilling the downlight holes, make a small pilot hole first, to ensure you are clear of joists and other obstructions.

Can I use wago connectors to extend the current cables in the centre of the room to one of the spotlights?
From this spotlight, I could then take a separate cable to each of the 3 other lights. Is that correct?

As above , far far easier to do the job now , if something goes wrong whilst fitting the spotlights in six months time , you will have to lift the carpet and floorboards , not to mention moving all the furniture too

If you do need to extend the cables you can use wagos, though they need to be in an enclosure.

You could use a Hager 20 amp 4 terminal MAINTENANCE FREE junction box.

Would you advise I use 3 x 3 terminal maintenance free junction boxes to extend Live In, Live Out and Switch cables to new location?

Alternatively, do I wire these into a single 4 terminal Maintenance free junction box and then take a single light cable to the new location?

Would you advise I use 3 x 3 terminal maintenance free junction boxes to extend Live In, Live Out and Switch cables to new location?

Alternatively, do I wire these into a single 4 terminal Maintenance free junction box and then take a single light cable to the new location?

If it's a lot of effort to move all the existing cables to the one of the downlight positions, then don't bother. I know I suggested it, but not essential.

You could fit a maintenance free junction box anywhere inaccessible if you have to.

And from the junction box run a 1.0 or 1.5 T+E cable to the first light. Then a cable from the first light to the second light. And so on.

Don't forget earth sleeving. And make sure all earth wires at the lights are joined together.

Don't forget earth sleeving. And make sure all earth wires at the lights are joined together.

presumably the Earth wire is wired into the spot light much like the Live and Neutral are? I tend to use the blue connector plugs with spotlights

you could measure them all out and then drill 4 tiny (5mm?) holes to mark the position. and run the cables in.

or as said, just fit them now and remove for painting. It will give you time to evaluate if 4 is enough and position etc.

Do I then pop some junction boxes on the ceiling? Where the four holes are

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back