1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

One switch, two lights from a ceiling rose?

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by AzK, 8 Sep 2021.

1. AzK

AzK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have an existing ceiling rose in my kitchen with a standard light pendant. I have attached an image that has the same setup (first image): Switch cable, bathroom light cable, backroom light cable and the cable in from the circuit/rose in the next room.

I wanted to add a couple of spotlights in the back of the kitchen. Can I add a new cable in for these spotlights and wire them in the same connectors/places the light is wired into? I've mocked up the original image to add this spotlight cable in.

If this is wired in, when the main light is switched on, will this turn on the spotlight(s) too.

Secondly would this too much load for this ceiling rose, or is this fine?

I hope it makes sense, and apologies for any incorrect terminology.

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As long as you can physically fit the conductors into the terminals ,the positions are correct ,but there should be an earth conductor as well going to the additional lights. Is the circuit RCD protected ?
    Wired this way all lights would come on, or go off ,when switch is operated.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. AzK

AzK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, there will be an earth conductor from the spotlight cable, I forgot to draw that in. The circuit is RCCB protected