Need help with recessed spot lights - pics included

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm new here so firstly, hello! Again...

I'm moved to a new flat where a couple of the spot lights are missing.

There are a total of 9 fixtures in the room, 6 which connect to a dimming switch and 3 that connect to a normal switch.

2 of the 3 'normal' ones are out of order at the moment.

The first spot light has a completely different connection, it's not a standard GU10 bulb bayonet. Does this require a different bulb or something else to fit as an intermediary between that connection and a bulb?

The second spotlight has the pictured cable with the live,earth and neutral wires in a plastic insulation box, what do I need to do with this?

Spotlight 1:

Spotlight 2:

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
First light takes a PL lamp. You can not use a GU10 lamp with this fitting.

You might need to pull the fitting out of the ceiling to find out what rating of lamp you need to buy.

The second one is just some wires. You need to buy and attatch some sort of fitting to them.

That first one looks like 4 pin TE, but not sure what wattage.

Is there a label inside the fitting saying what it is?

Otherwise you need to yank it down to look.

The others I don't know. They could be LV or SELV. You need a multimeter.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll probably just buy a PL lamp for the first one.

As for the second one, what do I need to buy to make it into GU10 fitting?

I want them to match the existing fittings which just seem to have a GU10 fitting on a wire (they're not fixed in the ceiling like the PL lamp is), what should I search for or buy?

what do I need to buy to make it into GU10 fitting?
GU10 lampholder
I want them to match the existing fittings which just seem to have a GU10 fitting on a wire (they're not fixed in the ceiling like the PL lamp is), what should I search for or buy?
Most downlight cans/fittings will take GU10 lamps and lampholders, as far a matching, it would depend on the brand/model you have.
If you google GU10 (lamps, lampholders and downlights) there will be plenty to pick from.

It does depend on what voltage you have racing through those wires, though....

So to pick this up once more, I've had to have two of the fixtures repaired as apparently the electrician said they don't make them any more (will find out make/model) and apparently they can't install another type of fitting as my circuit breaker wouldn't be able to handle it?

What info do I need to find out to see what my my circuit breaker can handle? I really want to get rid of CFLs in favour of LEDs.

The fixtures take 13W G24q-1 bulbs so I presume any fixture which also takes 13W or lower bulbs would be fine?

Any help is appreciated.[/b]

What info do I need to find out to see what my my circuit breaker can handle?
The rating will be printed on the front of the circuit breaker. It'll be 6A, which is plenty for most houses, unless you have loads of halogen spots. What other lights have you got on the same circuit? Or did your electrician mean that your dimmer wouldn't handle more?

What info do I need to find out to see what my my circuit breaker can handle?
The rating will be printed on the front of the circuit breaker. It'll be 6A, which is plenty for most houses, unless you have loads of halogen spots. What other lights have you got on the same circuit? Or did your electrician mean that your dimmer wouldn't handle more?

So the room is setup to power three of those PL lamps via a standard switch and 6 halogens via a dimmer switch. I presume these are on separate circuits because they are operated separately.

When I spoke to him yday he said that most fixtures will be too small for the holes that have been cut out for the lights and also that 13W is the most each fixture can be.

Nothing to do with the circuit breaker then?

6 halogens on one dimmer could be near the limit for the dimmer, but that's not relevant to the switched PL fittings.

Measure the holes in the ceiling, and I'm sure someone on here will post a link to some LED fittings for you.

You just need to ask your LED supplier to provide some fittings that give the same number of lumens as a 13W PL lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back