Help - Kitchen Spotlights (Set of 3) - One Gone Out!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just joined this DIY network to ask for help - thank you! We have a set of spotlights in our kitchen (the kind set on a bar screwed into the ceiling). There are three lights and the middle one has gone out. It didn't trip the fuse switch or anything when it went. We thought it was the bulb that had gone and got a replacement, but it still doesn't work (have tried swapping the bulbs around etc). Is there a fuse or anything inside each individual light fitting that I can check to see if it has blown, or is the light fitting beyond repair? Its the kind with an outer shade for each bulb - which is the large spotlight kind that you screw into the fitting. Any tips appreciated - thank you!

Sponsored Links
The fittings can get quite hot when the light is on for a prolonged period and this heat could have caused something to come loose.

What kind of bulb does this luminaire take? Modern GU10 or older R type reflecter bulbs?

kind that you screw into the fitting.

is it
images

Hi there, it looks a bit like that - they are just the normal screw in R80 240V 60 watt bulbs that you can buy from electrical stores, supermarket etc with the silver coating on the back of the bulb. Someone told me that because the bulbs get so hot they can break the wiring inside the light fitting after a certain amount of use - it is about eight years old I think (the fitting), so perhaps we should just buy a new set of spot lights?

Sponsored Links
Just to add that when you screw the bulb to it's place so many times, sometimes the housing turns inside with the bulb and can disconnect/break one of the wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back