Bathroom spotlights have gone!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Moved into a property, discovered 50% of all bulbs throughout the property were blown. Replaced them all and discovered that in the bathroom 2 out of the 4 spotlights are still not working. I swapped out a known working bulb and put that in just to double-check it's really not the bulbs... and yes, it is not the bulbs.

Some homework on this has lead me to believe that it is most likely the "transformer" that has gone. I fortunately have access to the loft, though it is completely filled (even over the spotlights from what I can tell) with insulation so I've not managed to get close to it yet.

My questions are as follows;

1) I thought it was unsafe/incorrect to cover the spotlight and transformers with insulation?
2) Having never had a loft before... I'm wondering what the safest route would be to get the loft a bit more safer to be in without falling through the ceiling. So far I'm too terrified to go up there fully incase I fall through the ceiling! so I'm thinking of getting some kind of boards but not sure the safest/best route to go on that!

Thanks for all input guys!

Sponsored Links
1) I thought it was unsafe/incorrect to cover the spotlight and transformers with insulation? which fix tp the timbers.

Yep, you can buy caps/covers like an upside down plant pot, to cover them and lift the insulation away.

2) Having never had a loft before... I'm wondering what the safest route would be to get the loft a bit more safer to be in without falling through the ceiling. So far I'm too terrified to go up there fully incase I fall through the ceiling! so I'm thinking of getting some kind of boards but not sure the safest/best route to go on that!

Buy loft boards -they are short, narrow and interlock. If the insulation is higher than the ceiling timbers, then you need to find a means to support boards above the insulation. You can buy spacers, which fix to the timbers to provide the spacing.

Replace those spotlights with 240v versions and get rid of the power supplies (almost certainly not transformers).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back