Spotlights blown off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, just wondered if you could help me out.

I have recently replaced 2 wall lights in my living room (connected to one switch) with six 20W spotlights, 3 for each transformer and placed them in a false ceiling.

The transformers are connected to the cables that previously were connected to the wall lights, all seemed to work perfectly fine until I sealed the false ceiling with some covings, and the bulbs started to blow one after the other, all 6 are gone now and still have not replaced them because I am not sure it is only a light bulbs problem or what???

Thought perhaps it was an overheating problem, but also when there were only 2 bulbs working, it shouldn't get overhated, should it?

I bought the spotlights and transformer from B&Q, made in China, is this the answer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

mazingaz

Sponsored Links
i doubt the covings have much if anything to do with it.

change the bulbs and use good quality ones, if it still doesn't work change out the transformers for decent ones.

This may depend upon the transformer. When this type of lighting was first introduced it was necessary to calculate exactly the size of transformer required for the load.

Cheap DIY kits contained non regulated transformers sized to supply the exact requirements for the number and size of the bulbs connected. When one bulb blows, the remaining are subject to an increase in voltage and their life is reduced. It's best to replace the bulbs as they blow to prevent this.

I understand that more modern/expensive transformers have a range within which they are automatically regulated.

stem said:
I understand that more modern/expensive transformers have a range within which they are automatically regulated.
yep and theyre not expensive these days.

Sponsored Links
Why didnt you use 220v spots instead of low voltage ones.No need for a traffo and just as reliable?

narkysparky said:
Why didnt you use 220v spots instead of low voltage ones.No need for a traffo and just as reliable?
more reliable as there is no tranny to blow! although one type of bulbs last longer than the other cant remeber if it 12v or 240v (i dont use either)
also some people prefer the colour of 12v ones.

I much prefer 12V downlights.

I would second trying decent branded lamps.

The ones supplied will probably be the cheapest lamps available.

I have 5 DLs in my bathroom and the branded lamps have been in for over five years now without a failure

thank you very much for your replies, I will try to get branded bulbs, hope this works, I will keep you informed

mazingaz

i prefer mains voltage, as you can replace them with compact fluorescent lamps then! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back