Kitchen spotlights (MR16) 1 failed, not bulb..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After some advice.
Our house has 8 MR16 spotlights lighting the kitchen (with some separate under-cupboard lighting). Two of the bulbs failed at the weekend - replaced one no problem the 2nd wont come back to life. Tried 3 bulbs now and no joy with any.

Father in law suggested probably the transformer - does this sound likely?
I'd have (perhaps wrongly) assumed the transformer would be powering more than one of these?

The only access I have without hacking into the kitchen extension's ceiling is via the hole the spotlight and goes into - I'm guessing the transformer is likely to be bigger than this?

Any help / pointers appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

Sponsored Links
Some lights do have a transformer feeding more than one, but some have their own tranny. The transformer should come down the hole after removing the light fitting.

Thanks for that - will have a gentle tug on the wire tomorrow in daylight.

Some lights do have a transformer feeding more than one, but some have their own tranny. The transformer should come down the hole after removing the light fitting.

Sponsored Links
Where's the insulation and vapour barrier?

If there are holes in it for the lights, then be prepared for condensation rotting the roof timbers.

Finally had a chance to get back to this... this little black box was attached to the fitting. Does this look like a transformer?

IMG_0524.jpg

Thanks for that - will have a gentle tug on the wire tomorrow in daylight.

That is not the transformer, that is just a cable connection.

The transfomer should be higher up, connected to those two white leads. Let us know if you can't find it.

You also need to inspect the lampholder (what the bulb goes into). These can get very hot, and it may be knackered. See if it's all crumbly.

If you find the transformer, see what writing is on it. It may say something like 60 VA, so report back.

Have a look inside that black box too, while you're at it.

The connectors used on those things can be such rubbish quality they may (though not normally I should stress) have burnt out.

Thanks - I've managed to get the transformer down now. I opened up the black cable junction and connections all seem good - multimeter is showing no power getting that far so I'm assuming the transformer is the failure point.

Transformer is labeled Aurora Cat No: AU-E60 - looks the same as this:

http://www.thelightbulbshop.co.uk/B...sformer.aspx?gclid=CODLguzj-roCFQrJtAodmkEA-Q

Can anyone recommend a replacement brand / model to use for longer life? Or are these Aurora's pretty good?

Have a look inside that black box too, while you're at it.

The connectors used on those things can be such rubbish quality they may (though not normally I should stress) have burnt out.

That transformer looks ok to use.

Osram transformers don't seem to go wrong often. The ones I have in mind were known as 'mice', but they weren't pre-wired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back