Ceiling spotlights between the rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am in the process of getting my extension wired and intend to put 12 ceiling spotlights fitted flush into the ceiling. Its a lean to roof and therefore angled ceiling and the spotlights will go between the rafters into areas where the insulation (thermoboard) has been cut out. Can anyone offer any advice on the best way to do this so that the heat generated from the lights is correctly dispersed I have heard that a 50W halogen bulb can generate heat of up to 200 degrees farenheit, Are there special spotlights that I should get for this environment. I plan to use CFL bulbs anyway that would reduce the heat generated significantly but need to plan in case anyone ever does replace with a a halogen bulb. All advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I had exactly ther same problem a few months back. The gap between the plasterboard and the roofing felt was only 10cm. I could have got the spots in but like you say they would have generated so much heat that I was worried about setting fire to the roof!

I ended up putting surface mount spots in. Not ideal but at least I know I'm not going to set fire to my house.

I've heard of LED spots which you could use and these would not get very hot. However they won't give off much light either!

If your joists are bigger than mine you might get spots in with no bother at all. My advice is to follow the manufactires advice on clearance.

You can get fittings which will only take CFL lamps. I got some quite cheap ones from TLC.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys I have 175mm to play with as I used 7 inch rafters. CFL bulbs I have used before were about 75mm in height assuming that the fitting is going to be another 20-25mm leaves me with about 75 mm left above the fitting. I have the advantage that I havent slabbed the ceiling yet, so I can adjust the insulation in the areas where the spots will go to suit what I need. Should I put no insulation at all directly above each spot ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back