Another 230v or 12v spotlight question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise whether 230v or 12v spotlight/downlights would be better for this situation

I'm aware of the light quality and spread issues etc, but spotlights it is.

The ceiling will be the underside of a flat roof 175mm deep. The lights will be in a square pattern, with four per side, and parallel sides will operate together (ie two circuits). The lights should also be dimable. The fittings will be fire rated type

The 1st fix cable needs to go in so that the roof insulation can be fitted and ceiling can be boarded, so we have to decide whether to run some mains lighting cable around or get some LV stuff

I'm leaning towards 230v as then the cable can go in and I can choose the fitting type and either halogen, LED, CFL bulb etc later.

12v seems to limit the options

So would it be correct to say that 230v would be better, or are there any major advantages to using a 12v set up?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Use 12V and there's a lamp and a transformer to go wrong. Use 230V and there's only a lamp to go. Depending on who's doing the installation, transformers can end up somewhere they can't be pulled from the ceiling for replacement.

PJ

Sponsored Links
12v will severely limit the choices of lamp.

The only advantage of 12v halogen compared to 230v halogen is that the 12v ones have a significantly higher light output for the same wattage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back