Ceiling spotlights choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking into fitting spotlights everywhere, GU10, and am considering LED dimmables, on the assumption they are very economic and generate less heat. I think that the 50W standard halogen spotlights require "hoods" or covers over the back to protect insulation and other materials from catching on fire. I have also discovered that there are 240V LED bulbs so no external transformers will be needed. Finally it appears the "standard" halogen is 36 degrees beam angle, but many LEDs go to 120 degrees.

Can you please tell me if I am correct in the above assumptions?

Sponsored Links
Fire hoods are NOT there to protect insulation etc. They are there to slow the spread of fire from a lower floor to the floor above through the downlight hole. They are only required if the ceiling is a fire barrier. Most ceilings in domestic properties are not fire barriers unless they are in places like the ceiling of an intergrated garage, or the ceiling of s building that has several separate fire compartments- like an apartment block.

and am considering LED dimmables, on the assumption they are very economic and generate less heat.
LEDs are the only option now. Halogens are gone.

require "hoods" or covers over the back to protect insulation and other materials from catching on fire.
If the location requires fire rated items or you want to fit such things anyway, buy fire rated light fittings.
Hoods cost more and are next to useless, as it's near impossible to fit them correctly without access from above.

OK, I am thinking of presenting the following diagram to the electrician for the kitchen (and similar for other rooms), I have made it myself, do you think it is adequate?

Attachments

• kitchen-electrics.pdf
    24 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
I am looking into fitting spotlights everywhere
Once you've worked out how many you'll need to light each room, I would strongly advise taking a step back and thinking about whether the fact that you'll need lots and lots of them might indicate that they aren't actually any good at the job of lighting up rooms.

Then it might be an idea to think if you want the multiple shadows, and overlapping pools of light, the two leading to uneven lighting (can be a particular problem in kitchens).

Also think if you'd like to be staring up into spotlight beams when lying in bed, or the bath.

Lastly, re hoods and access from above, you'll need that anyway, preferably in all rooms with a roof space above, and for certain if you have a bathroom like that, as you'll need to fit sealed enclosures (not firehoods) over them to stop cold draughts falling through from the loft and, most importantly, to stop warm moist air from getting into the loft where it could condense and lead to rot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back