Weld in frame failed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I know nothing about windows but recently, by accident more that anything, found one of the windows in our house with this gap in the frame. (See pictures).

The top of the frame has a shallow arch and where it meets one of the uprights the weld seems to have failed.

It's a new house we've been in since the beginning and its almost 3 years old.

I've posted this question in another diy forum and had a number of helpful comments. Just wondered what some of the professionals here might think.

The builder has been out to inspect and referred us on to the window frame fitters they used when building. There is no suggestion that they want us to pay anything (yet).

I'm thinking we'd possibly be covered under the NHBC contract but am not sure. Also there was talk of using a two-part filler but other advice given suggests the frame needs to be replaced.

I'd appreciate any views you have or advice you'd offer.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Cant see any of those pics, however :

Whenever i have cracked welds on ANY frame i always replace them, many reasons really main one being affecting structure of the frame etc etc. Even if the frames are reinfored then it wont meet in the conrner.

I would personally ask for the frame to be replaced. You know its there and some filler will only hide the problem - The fact that the weld isnt holding on one side or both will always be there.

If you would be happy to accept filler then thats up to you.

Good luck

A two part filler is likely to be an epoxy adhesive such as Araldite, I think....its as good as it gets but a frame replacement is much more desirable here.
John :)

I used to work for the 2 largest frame repair or replacement companies in the uk repairing burglary damaged pvc, aluminium and timber.

We repaired from minor cosmetic damage like screwdriver/crowbar marks to reconstructive repairs, missing pvc, holes the size of a tennis ball.

As far as welds go though the frame was written off although there were some service engineers that had used in the past some sort of powdered filler that you mixed up with something and repaired the weld, i never saw this and the company didn't advise this repair anymore.

As said above it wants replacing

Sponsored Links
Pvcfitter2010, Burnerman & Crank39, thank you all for taking the time to comment.

Sorry about the pics, there were there and then gone, I think I've fixed them now in case that helps or there are any more comments.

As I say, I know nothing about windows, so I really value your comments. I absolutely agree, I don't want it filled, it only hides the problem but I didn't want to come across as a jumping up and down lunatic if it is common practice to fill it or something similar that you might know about.

That's a great help lads, really helps me know how to deal with the issue.

Blimey how did that break? :mad: Its cracked right through, that defo wants replacing, it aint going to fall out but its not acceptable, a crack like that is usually caused by hammering the frame in.......on a cold day, but knowing what new houses are like i would of thought they were a loose fit.

Thanks for looking again Crank39, dunno what happened to the pics earlier.

Yep, who knows what happened here. I guess it'll be quite a job to replace the whole window in terms of removing and reinstalling?

Its not a bad jpb to take these frames out usually - remove the glazing beads and the glass unit and you'll see the frame fixing screws in the side of the frame.
You may have to make good any external cement fillets etc that may come away.
John :)

Unless its held in with straps and have been fixed to the internal skin and then dot and dabbed over for the reveal, thats when plaster falls off, OR it could be held in by the cavity closer??? Lots of possibilities on new build! :cry:

Lads, thanks, that's really useful to know.....I guess I might find out soon enough.

I just hope they offer to replace the frame in the first place, then I can worry about the fixings.

Right, I think I'm gonna hunt out the fixing methods you both have mentioned. As I say, I have no experience of windows at all. This has been very helpful of you all, thanks.

Masona,

Hehe, we'll see.....you know how folk can be!

Yes, there is a little settlement type cracking, a little of which can be seen in the pic, and a little in the wall to the left of the window. However, this doesn't look any worse than other settlement cracks which have appeared over time.

Again, I'm no expert in these matters.

Thanks to all who replied.

Just a quick update on what happened.

Builder inspected window and then arrived again with window manufacturer. Window was tied in in five places. Whole frame removed and joint was welded onsite with a pretty nifty, if heavy, looking piece of kit.

Window put in, ties replaced, and a plasterer did a pretty tidy job of putting all the plasterwork right.

All it needs now is painting...which I think I'll likely be doing myself!

Still a happy ending, and thanks for your advice, very helpful in letting me know what to expect and what was required. Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back