Well, I was going for a heatbank or thermal store

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
but I've read all the threads on this and they have changed my mind.

We have a direct economy 7 water heating system. I need a new cylinder and would dearly love to get the cold water tank out of the loft. Hence the idea of a heatbank.

So, what about a combination cylinder, called a fortic I think, placed downstairs. We have the room. We have about 3 metres of head at present which is quite adequate to serve our single shower and taps. Would a low pressure pump with a flow switch make up for the non-existent head if I used the fortic?

Too powerful a pump would empty the cylinder quite quickly if my wife got carried away in the shower. I'd like a 210 litre cylinder - what size top tank would be needed to match that?

If the outflow did exceed the inflow from the cold mains, what would be the consequences?

The cylinder is in the middle of the bungalow but the overflow from the top tank could be fed through a cupboard and the bathroom to the outside.

If someone could advise on this idea I'd be very grateful

Sponsored Links
Have a look at direct unvented cylinders - might be what you're looking for if your mains pressure and flow is good enough.

Yes, I'll do that. And have the pressure and flow of the water tested, too.

Thanks for that.

Happy Christmas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back