Thermal store

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does any one have some information on thermal stores? I would be looking for one which was electric only with two immersions, 1 on economy 7 and the other normal tariff.

Have been trawling the net but can't seem to find prices on these things.

I would go for a standard economy 7 fortic cylinder but have only possibly downstairs to site it, loft would be difficult due to weight. Could a pump be used somehow with a standard fortic to enable me to have this cylinder downstairs or are thermal stores my only option? What type would hold its heat the longest?

Not interested in unvented stuff, scares me!

Sponsored Links
Unvented are fine as long as they are properly installed and checked every year by someone like me who has the Certificate.

If all you are needing is hot water than a standard cylinder is needed with an immersion at low level and another at high level for a day time boost. They are usually called an "economy 7 cylinder"

Being vented they have to be supplied from a loft cistern and the output can be pumped with a shower pump.

Tony Glazier

The fact that an unvented cylinder has been correctly maintained by a certificated professional doesn't alter the fact that S*** happens and if it does the thing can be dangerous ;)

Vented thermal stores are the way to go IMO, you can install it all yourself (assuming you want to and are capable of course), there's no need for costly annual maintenance (or much maintenance at all really) and no risk of explosion if anything goes wrong.

Plenty around and more will follow as people see the light ... check out www.heatweb.com for one supplier. There are configurations to cope with HW or HW/CH with different kW ratings and they can be configured to have split tariff for economy and boost functions.

You probably won't get prices online as (certainly DPS) are very flexible in configuration and prices vary. They will email you a quote though once you've decided what you want.

Being vented they have to be supplied from a loft cistern and the output can be pumped with a shower pump.

So I could store the tank downstairs (ground floor - not first floor) but the cisterns needs to be in the loft and I would need a shower pump to make it work? Is that what you mean?

Sponsored Links
I see a lot of these in flats and they seem like a good solution.

It's a vented primary heat store heated by Economy 7 (or 10) immersions, yielding mains pressure hot water via a plate heat exchanger.

The F&E can be directly above the appliance, in the same cupboard, and you get a mains pressure shower without the risk of an explosion.

esra_ptrap said:
The fact that an unvented cylinder has been correctly maintained by a certificated professional doesn't alter the fact that S*** happens and if it does the thing can be dangerous ;)

Vented thermal stores are the way to go IMO, you can install it all yourself (assuming you want to and are capable of course), there's no need for costly annual maintenance (or much maintenance at all really) and no risk of explosion if anything goes wrong.

Plenty around and more will follow as people see the light ... check out www.heatweb.com for one supplier. There are configurations to cope with HW or HW/CH with different kW ratings and they can be configured to have split tariff for economy and boost functions.

You probably won't get prices online as (certainly DPS) are very flexible in configuration and prices vary. They will email you a quote though once you've decided what you want.

Good post. I would go along with that. Avoid unvented cylinders. Also Range do all electric stores too:
http://www.rangecylinders.co.uk/products/flowmax/models/electric7/index.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back