Were these made by the devil himself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never had one that just turns without giving me no end of grief (wd40 + woodchisel to turn it seems to help sometimes). Generally speaking it just shears in the middle :evil:

Any top tips for getting these to turn :confused:

Sponsored Links
Never had a problem with one, just stuck a screw driver in it.

Swap them for better/new valves if they wont work

Some are a real pain, I know. Some, however, have a hexagonal allen key hole in the middle which is much more useful than the screwdriver slot

Sponsored Links
Yeah that one looks like it may too... Similar to the shut off valves on your boiler. Always use a hex key! The worst is when someone paints over the beggers!

woodchisel to turn it
:eek:

Same as any other type of screw head really - once someone tries to use the wrong tool, or wrong size screwdriver in the slot, they're %*&$!%ed!

[Rant]..... Slotted screw heads are one of the simplest form of fastenting devised, and the most abused form of screw head. Just like Torx head or
Allen screws, each size require use of the correct size screwdriver.

Why do people who own selections of hex keys, Phillips and crosshead screwdrivers, Torx bits, etc, etc. seem to pay so little attention to selecting the correct size driver for slotted head screws? :evil:.... [/Rant]

lol yes I fully appreciate my blunt wood chisel isn't the right tool for the job! I'm just saying, after I've tried my screwdriver, and it just slips straight out because theres no purchase at all, that sometimes I have luck with a chisel, and when you're a subby on a job changing a tap, you'll do whatever it takes to get that gland turned!!

Anyway, I know to use a hex key now!! :cool:

lol yes I fully appreciate my blunt wood chisel isn't the right tool for the job! I'm just saying, after I've tried my screwdriver, and it just slips straight out because theres no purchase at all, that sometimes I have luck with a chisel, and when you're a subby on a job changing a tap, you'll do whatever it takes to get that gland turned!!

Anyway, I know to use a hex key now!! :cool:

Not turned my gland for a while :rolleyes: :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back