Wet Floorboards and Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have just joined and this is my first post, I hope I am in the correct section, I am a keen female diy'er but have a problem and question.

I have had a water leak in my kitchen how long it has been going on for I do not know, I only found it last week after my floor covering started lifting.

I traced and fixed the leak but now am left with floorboards and joists very wet, the floor is a normal wood suspended type, on top its now almost all dry its underneath thats my problem, its very slow at drying out should I apply heat ?

I am very worried about rot what should I look for ?

I can craw under the floor quite easily.

Sponsored Links
Do not apply heat as that will dry the wood un-evenly and cause warping / bending, of the timbers. Plenty of ventilation and allow the wood to dry naturally is the best option.

If you can temporarily increase ventilation by a fan over an airbrick to move humid air out from the crawl space and into the outside that will help to speed the process. It will also help to reduce moisture ( water vapour ) from the drying timber getting into the house and creating damp patches.

Sponsored Links
Do not apply heat as that will dry the wood un-evenly and cause warping / bending, of the timbers. Plenty of ventilation and allow the wood to dry naturally is the best option.

If you can temporarily increase ventilation by a fan over an airbrick to move humid air out from the crawl space and into the outside that will help to speed the process. It will also help to reduce moisture ( water vapour ) from the drying timber getting into the house and creating damp patches.
I have a portable fan so could use that, would it be ok to place it the opposite end of the effected area from the airbrick to blow along the wet section then out of the airbrick.

So - how do the timbers look? Are they discoloured at all, and do they feel pretty firm if you stick a screwdriver into the wet bit?
Just get as much air into there as you can - they'll dry in no time.
John :)

It will be Friday before I can get under the floor again to answer your question, I am most grateful to all who have given me advice so far.
I am terrified of getting any rot.

Obviously it depends on how long it has been leaking and what quantity, which we don't know. Post up a pic or three and until then, worry ye not.
John :)

Old airbricks are often choked with cobwebs and dust. If you are able to clean them out it will improve airflow.

Also, lifting the wettest boards will allow air to flow up through the gap. You will have to open a window to let the damp air out. Lift all floor coverings that you can, and in a kitchen, remove the kickboards/plinths under units so air can circulate. They will probably pull off but may slide sideways.

Is the floor "planks" or chipboard?

They will tend to be cooled as the water evaporates. This is good because the cold will slow fungal growth.

If you can get under the floor sweep out the rubbish, it will harbour damp and rot.

If you climb into a void like that, tell someone where you are, leave the door open, and ask them to come and look if you are not out in an hour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back