wet room floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently had a wet room floor put in by a firm on behalf of the council for a disabled relative. The work was on a wooden floor which had previously been levelled with ply. The installation was done with a tray former and covered with non-slip vinyl. The water from the lowered shower runs away fine when on the area above the former. We use a curtain with a portable carer screen to deflect the spray.
However, the contractor set the former in the ply/floorboard and it sits a couple of millimeters proud of the rest of the bathroom floor. If any water escapes past the curtain/small carer screen then it doesn't flow back to the drain. Likewise if any comes off the shower curtain after use, or off the carer screen then it sits outwith the former tray and can't flow back. This also means that the relative needs to stay inside the former tray area until completely dry, which sort of defeats the reason why the original shower tray was replaced.
We have had the installation inspected by the council who are now in discussion with the contractor. I pointed out the problem immediately the non-slip was laid and was told this was not a problem, use has shown otherwise.
My main question is 'how is a wet room normally defined'. Is it having the former tray installed and draining alone, or should the surface outside the tray always be higher than the tray itself. I'd like to know so that I'm clear what I'm arguing about.
Lastly, the flooring which was glued down has 2 bubbles near the drain from which I presume the adhesive has been insufficient or failed. I have also shown this to the council inspector. What is the norm for this failure to prevent long term problems: can the bubbles be opened and repaired? or does the flooring need to be replaced?
Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back