Wet room project - Tile choice???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering undertaking a diy wet room project. It's a small room approx 1.2m x 2.4m x 2.3m high. Currently it looks like I will go for a 'On The Level' tray former and the Aquaproof tanking system to make the floor and wet walls watertight.

What I'd like to know is if I should be looking to choose a particular material or type of tile for the wet room. For example, I was considering mosaics for floor tiles as they wouldn't need to be cut to match the gradients of the tray former. I'm also worried that large tiles cut to match the former may look odd. However, if I chose mosaics would I be reducing the waterproofing effect of tiling because there will be a more grout present? My assumption being that grout isn't water proof (is this correct?). Obviously the tanking will be underneath but surely its best to get as watertight as possible with the tiles.

Any advice on tile/grout choice would be gratefully recieved. For example, I was told to avoid porcelain tiles for the floor in the wet room as they will become very slippery.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back