Wet room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
i'm planning a self build holiday cottage. I want the en-suite bathroom on the ground floor to be a wet room. I'm going for a slab and screed base with underfloor heating. How can I ensure that the screed has a 'fall' towards the drain without increasing the overall height of the floor? I don't want there to be a step between the bedroom and the en-suite so that it is wheelchair friendly. Any thoughts?
Regards neely

Sponsored Links
Unless the drain is next to the door there isn't any problem.
just take the door opening as FFL.
Subtract all screeds and finishes and slope down to the drain point.
you can use a gentle slope and have small channels to take the flow so that the floor isn't too wet.

Hi Chesspy
Many thanks for your help. All the floor finishes will be either stone or ceramic tiles. I suppose that the idea is to 'bed up' the floor in the bedroom to make sure that the FFL at the door is higher than the tiled area around the drain in the en-suite?

Not really,
you should take the bedroom floor level as your FFL
(FFL finished floor level means just that, allow for everything, tiles concrete bedding compound etc.)
And work everything down from that, so that you end up level with no step
If you want to have a raised step to stop water transmission you can allow your finishes in the wet room to be an additional 1/2" lower than the bedroom.

Sponsored Links
The wet room floor will slope down from that towards the drain.

Hi Chesspy
Many thanks again for your help. As you've probably already guessed I still don't fully understand. I've been reading up about screed floors and it all looks a bit more complex than I had imagined. To save me making a mess of it I'l get some help from someone who knows what they're doing.
But honestly, thanks again for your advice.
Neely

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back