wet under floor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have looked at hundreds of pages; all give different answers. I am interested in the SIMPLEST solution NOT the most PERFECT solution. I have read about room sizes, efficiency, how you run underfloor heating separately from central heating radiators etc, but that's NOT what I want to know. I have a small bedroom 6m squared. Can I simply take off the radiator, plumb in 35 metres of ProWarm Underfloor heating piping whilst keeping the thermostatic valve and just run the piping under the insulated floorboards? ProWarm website says yes as long as the room is under 15m squared. It is just that we need to get that radiator off the wall. Most websites say that for a small room it is possible and that people who say no are just over complicating things.........What do you reckon? Thanks for your help ........

Sponsored Links
It will work but will lack control as underfloor is run at a much lower temperature yours will be probably around 70 deg c to give enough heat to original rads.

Cross Thread - thanks for that. So the risk is that I end up with a house that is either colder and a hot bedroom or a warm house and cold bedroom? Is that right?

Sponsored Links
Hello Mr Chibs - thanks for having taken time to reply. I am no DIY expert, but if I leave the thermostat radiator valve on, can I not achieve the same effect?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The insulation would be under the pipes not above the pipes. It's a 1930s house with nice, big, thick joists.

Hello Mr Chibs - thanks for having taken time to reply. I am no DIY expert, but if I leave the thermostat radiator valve on, can I not achieve the same effect?
No, as wet UFH pipes need to run at lower temperatures... say 45ºC your central heating water is likely to be higher than this figure, hence the blending valve... also UFH is not quick to heat as a radiator, think low and slow.

You can get a room kit, which comprises of a pump etc, but probably OTT for 6m²

If you just connect UFH to your current central heating circuit it will work, but may not be controllable... suppose you could wire a thermostatic valve and lock shield and pretend it's a big radiator... just need to think you are adding a lot of meterage in pipe length, but you could test it.

wow! they cost £1000 for 10m squared! that's A LOT of money to gain storage space in a spare bedroom!! Thanks though, they have loads of kits on there!! Thank you

It seems you only want people to confirm what you already think. Will it work? yes but not well but you crack on and do you.

If I'd known I could just reuse the TRV years ago I could have saved clients a fortune with zoning, rails and blenders...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back