wet wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently my gutter got blocked up (unnoticed birds nest) and during a heavy 24 hour rainstorm it completed blocked and water ran down the corner of the house down the wall. Damp patches were visible on downstairs hallway wall on corner of house.
I have got the blocked sorted and that is ok. I was advised to gently heat or let dry naturally the inside of hallway wall. This is receeding.

My question is: I was suggested to put Thomsons waterproof seal on the outside of the house where it happened, not just because of the downpipe there but because that part of house is expsed to prevailing winds and rain in winter. Somebody else told me not to put the Thomsons on until the wall was properly dry as it would trap the remaining dampness in the wall.
I'm wondering, should I do this while the wall is obviously still damp or wait I suppose for spring?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Put something on to fix a problem that has gone away?

Put something on to fix a problem that didn't exist before?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I would say don't bother, the building was designed to breath so let it.

Were they trying to sell you this stuff?

jack8, Hi.

If the signs of dampness are receding? then I for one would not pain the outer surfaces of the walls with anything.

One thing I would consider is to use a fan, if you do not have one borrow one and set the fan up just to blow air over the damp areas on the wall, I have seen this work without the need to turn on [if the fan has one] the heating element on the fan.

Idea is to get as much "air" moving over the "damp" surface and assisting the moisture in the damp wall to evaporate.

But because the fan will create a draft in the house, and these things can be noisy, you could run the fan when you and the family are not in the property?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies, both useful.
No, nobody was trying to flog me anything, I have the Thompsons in the shed, I think people were just trying to help.
I see what you mean about leaving well alone, you are probably right, though with a 100+ year old house it is always tempting to go for the double protection if you see what I mean.

I have a small fan which I have been using for an hour a day and it seems to be receeding. I'm doing it slowly (just a gut instinct) hoping that that will not cause the wallpaper to peel though I think there are small sections which have become detached from the wall. Will have to see when fully dry.
I know it;s probably, how long is a piece of string, but how long should the drying process take, are we talking weeks or months do you think?
House is a brick construction from 1900 with no cavity, so solid.

Cheers
jack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back