What battons to use for scratch coat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Stripped all the plaster away from some internal walls right down to brickwork and now want to put my own scratch coat up before getting someone in to do the final skim coat plaster.

Can someone give me some advise on what vertical battons/guides to use for me to then rule against? I've done this on a low outside wall built from blocks, but that's a lot easier when the blocks were straight anyways. The brickwork is wonky to say the least, so I guess I need something stiff to keep a straight line or do I use thin 10mm wood and cement to set these straight with a level? Is 10mm enough or does it need to be thicker (bearing in mind that 10mm will be 20mm + at all the low points in the brickwork.

Also, is a 4/1 sand cement mix okay and would you recommend plastering sand only for the scratch coat? I used a half half plaster sand and sharp sand for the outside scratch coat, but must say that the larger stones in the sharp sand were a pain when floating.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not being funny fella but why not let a spread do the whole thing? Save all your faffing around and (if you get a good'un) it'll be done right.

Speaking for me, I'd be a bit dubious of skiming a diyer's attemp at dubbing out.. sorry.

Why not let a spread do the whole thing.
Speaking for me, I'd be a bit dubious of skiming a diyer's attempt at dubbing out.. sorry.

I totaly agree with what you're saying Brickie,, i'd be the same. I wouldn't want to put my name to half a job!! I'd either do the whole thing from beginning to end, or nothing. How can you guarantee the job any other way?

Sponsored Links
He probably wants to do the scratch coat because the final skims take a lot more practice to get a good finish on.

Why not board the walls instead of troweling?

I'd say let them do it all, but plasters will hire chavs or use apprentices to do the boards for them so they can get on with the trickier trowel work and make it cheaper for the customer. NOTE: I consider myself in this chav category in terms of my finishing ability with plaster (can do it well enough everyday people like it, but someone in the know would see the concaves and fat from the zealous spraying / flicking).

If you're worried about going over someone else's work and them complaining when it cracks / falls apart, you could always say "I didn't put this up, so I can't be sure it's not going to crack" before getting the mixer out.

I rendered the entire back garden with a trowel and spade in that record breaking heat last year. It wasn't fun doing a half ton like that. Should have battened it or just used cement boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back