What CH system should i use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a property which has a back boiler heated from a coal fire which heats the radiators. In addition there are some economy 7 heaters. There is no gas or oil at the present. I have been told to get a wood burning stove to replace the fire. Is this a good idea. Thanks for your help. Dave

Sponsored Links
i'm told with a wood burning stove you can leave it in all day and control how fast it burns. At our present house we have a coal fire and it is very much on or off, its hard to control the amount of heat and if you want to heat the house just for a couple of hours before bed and then turn off this can not be done. Would this be any different with a wood stove. As you can tell I'm pretty new to this

It seems a lot of effort and expense to go through just to run a few (upstairs?) radiators. I presume it is gravity fed for upstairs only.

If it ran the hot water as well and was a pumped system it would be more worth while perhaps.

The smaller Morso squirrel heat wood burners look good but I have found that when trying to 'keep then in' at night ready for the morning with all air damped down, they only just about keep going all night and need small amounts of kindling to get them started again. Which is a pain in the a..e

What I'm trying to say is you would need quite a large wood burner to keep going on a 24 hour basis. Expensive on logs/coal. The re-plumbing of your back pipe work into the new wood burner with possibly a new flue liner...........is it worth it.

Your coal one is probably pretty good and when used with those smokeless nuggets, can get pretty efficient.

Mind you there is no better feeling you are getting something for nothing with a wood burner with back boiler, despite having paid way over the top for it and breaking your back splitting logs all day!!!

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for your comments, I believe the coal fire at present does do both the rads and the hot water system. To get hot water means either to heat the whole house or to turn the emersion heater on.

Another option would be to get an oil tank but I guess this would be expensive to have installed.

I think the best thing I can do is get a professional round to explain to me my options and the costs involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back