What Controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a completely new HW/CH system installed in my house and am looking for recommendations for the smart controls system. I know a lot of people using Hive and have all said they are decent but is that just because they work ok and they were already installed in their houses.

If you were starting from scratch what controls system would you go for?

System will be;
System boiler
Unvented cylinder
5nr rads upstairs
100m2 UFH downstairs

Thanks for the recommendations and help

Sponsored Links
Essentially control via an app if required and have something with a decent and easy to use control unit display. a system that self learns to optimize performance.

What else can they do?

Sponsored Links
@ianmcd is spot on, to get a perfect control system simply costs too much, so we compromise.

In my case retired, so at home most of the day, but where you leave the home, the key thing is speed. It is clearly pointless using a geofencing system if you live 15 minutes from home and it takes 2 hours to reheat the home.

Fastest response time is likely the fan assisted ivector radiator, but the building management system to control it means not really an option, however for speed the lighter the radiators and the less water in the system the better, you want to heat the air, not great lumps of iron, steel, or concrete. So for geofencing UFH is a non starter.

So must assume with UFH it will never be turned off, so either a back ground heat, or heating for a retirement home. Simple no point in any smart controls for UFH as it is too slow to respond, fitted it in mothers wet room very small room, looking at 3 hours to get to heat. Could not have floor any warmer and still walk on it with bare feet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back