What could this shallow yellow plastic cable be? I need to put a post there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found a shallow yellow plastic cable where I need to put a fence post in, see attached images.

Its running toward my house, but off to the side a bit.

I do not think mains gas, electric or water run this way, am sure they're the other side of my house. And this looks a bit shallow for those, its a couple of inches deep. And they're in metal aren't they?

I have no idea what it could be other than a previous owner put it in, maybe electrics up the garden, but I have nothing in the garden, I cant see it coming out anywhere. I have had a complete rewire in the house some years ago, the electrician did not find anything running out there.

Anyone have any ideas? Wonder if I should cut it out and see if anything stops working, or postcrete around it so its bedded into the fence post concrete. I would never have known it to be there or need to access it if I did not dig for a fence post, so cant see an issue it being inside cement?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3305.jpg
    IMG_3305.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_3307.jpg
    IMG_3307.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 248
Sponsored Links
It's difficult to be sure from a picture, but I think I can make out the diamond pattern typical of a garden hose.

(of course DIY bodgers sometimes run cables through garden hose, so it could still have wiring running through it)

Was there ever a pond?
Some people power pond pumps with odd bodges

Sponsored Links
Yes I have a pond in the direction of the hose away from the house. And yes I think its a yellow hose pipe. So a good chance its a cable to the pond, but there is no electrics visible around the pond, I have put my own electric cable in elsewhere thinking it had none! Cant see either end of this cable.

I think I will dig around it and postcrete over it, just in case its used somewhere and am sure I will never need to rip it out considering i would not even know its there if I never dug a hole!

dig around it to free more of it up, lift it up and see if it is full of water or has a cable within it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back