What do I do with this floor section? (pics included)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've removed a fire surround from my living room, but in the process of removing the hearth sections it ripped out loads of the floor screed in the process.

I'm simply replacing the fire surround and need to know what to do with the floor before I lay the new hearth sections.

floor1.jpg

floor2.jpg

floor3.jpg

I think i've got 3 options here:

1) Screed the floor again (4:1 sand/cement mixture - it's a 25mm screed I need to re-level to as show in pics), let the screed dry and then bed the new hearth on mortar.

2) Level the floor with concrete and then bed the new hearth on mortar.

3) Just fill the gap with mortar and bed the hearth in one go.

I'm only a DIY'er so anything will involved hand mixing the mortar/screed by hand. What's the best option?

Sponsored Links
After applying a smattering of dilute PVA to seal the floor and provide adhesion you can either screed,concrete or mortar the floor to the existing level. It really won't matter too much. I have also found drywall adhesive excellent for bedding hearths down with as it is easily mixed and worked, it won't crack like mortar can and it sets solid.

Thanks Daz,

But what PVA dilution should I use? And do I let it dry before I carry out further work?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back