Removed fireplace & hearth, how to infill floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just removed the old gas fireplace and hearth in our lounge, and prior to this there was a coal fire in situ.

I removed the old tiled surround and hearth and knocked the old blobs of mortar that the hearth sat upon. I have now cleared it down to the solid concrete floor.

The floor in the room is concrete with carpet on top and my plan is to fully recarpet afterwards.

Unfortunatly after removing the hearth I am left with a hole approx 1m by 0.5m in size and depth is from 35 to 50mm.

Finally, the question I am asking is what do I fill this with? Can I use a sand cement mix and if so what mix or do I need to buy some special product? I'm trying to do it as cheaply as possible!!

Thanks for looking!

Gaz :LOL:

Sponsored Links
1 bag of washed pea gravel, 2 bags sharp sand and half bag of cement should do.

Sponsored Links
also check for your dpm, most old fire places dont have one so you will need to put one in and ty into the concrete floors dpm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back