Concrete Hearth/Parquet Flooring advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1950s house with parquet flooring downstairs. The only trouble is there is a huge concrete hearth in each of the main rooms, which looks pretty ugly and is cracked in one of the rooms anyway.

I've managed to get some parquet blocks to match what we have and want to dig out the concrete (I believe it is a constuctional hearth from what I have read)

Is there any problem with this.

From the small bit I have dug out the parquet and hearth seem differently laid. The parquet is 22mm thick with 35mm concrete below that. The hearth is a layer of concrete approx 25mm thick, with hardcore underneath that going down to another lower layer of flat concrete type stuff. Total drop from top of the parquet to this layer is 55mm.

The photos may help:
http://freespace.virgin.net/kevin.robson/fireplace/fireplace1.JPG
http://freespace.virgin.net/kevin.robson/fireplace/fireplace2.JPG
http://freespace.virgin.net/kevin.robson/fireplace/fireplace3.JPG
http://freespace.virgin.net/kevin.robson/fireplace/fireplace4.JPG
http://freespace.virgin.net/kevin.robson/fireplace/fireplace5.JPG

So my plan was to break up and hearth, clear out the hardcore, lay some more concrete to be level with the base under the parquet, and lay the parquet.

As well as a general 'will this work', my main questions are:
1. How do I get the hearth out - will I cause damage hitting it with a hammer/chisel i.e. maybe crack the concrete base below it.
2. Will the hearth be attached in any way to the foundations/wall or will it just rest on the base below.
3. In terms of depth, how many mm should I allow for the parquet glue/bitumen, or is it such a thin layer as to be irrelevant.
4. How should I remove the bitumen that is already on the blocks - mainly bottom but some has got onto on the top of blocks also.
5. If we put a gas fire in will the heat cause any problem being near the parquet - I assume the heat is the reason for having the concrete hearth.
6. Will any of this cause any problems with any damp proof layers, which I assume must be below the lowest concrete layer and attached to the foundations.

That will do for the minute - hopefully I'll be back later for advice on finishing the flooring.

Thanks for your time. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
kevin_robson said:
4. How should I remove the bitumen that is already on the blocks - mainly bottom but some has got onto on the top of blocks also.
5. If we put a gas fire in will the heat cause any problem being near the parquet - I assume the heat is the reason for having the concrete hearth.

I hope other members can answer your questions about the fire-place, I'll give these questions a go.

4) remove as much bitumen as you can, it's hard work and laots of elbow-grease, but the more you remove the better the bonding will be with the 'modern' parquet adhesives.

5) Rule of thumb (and I think even regulations) is 30cm 'fire-resistant' material around the hearth.

Hope this helps for starters

I am doing some thing similar to you and also installing a gas fire,after reading the fire installatioin manual it says that there has to be a 300mm slate/concrete/tile or basicaly non combustible hearth in front of the fire.
I hope this helps

cheers paul

ps will be getting fire connected by a corgi reg plumber

Thanks for the advice.
I'm a little confused though (very much a novice)
By 300mm hearth, are we talking about the sort of hearth that you buy with your modern fireplace, and if so does this mean it can sit on top of parquet, or do you mean that 300mm underneath the modern hearth has to be concrete/non-combustable.

I'm assuming the hearth that comes as part of the fireplace will be heat resistant and so could happily sit on top of parquet - am I wrong?

What about the structural element of what I am doing by ripping up the concrete base - any problem with this anyone?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry for any confusion, but as far as i am aware as long as the material in front of the fire protrudes 300mm and is basically fire proof then that is ok.
most fire places will have hearths that have been placed on top of floor boards so placing your hearth on top of the parquet would be ok.
My house is a 1920 's house and in front of every fire place there are ceramic tiles in front of the fire and level with floor board level,this what i am planning on doing .
Hope this helps

paul

Thanks. That is what I wanted to hear.

Going back to the bitumin WoodYouLike, can you clarify what you can use to remove this. Any chemicals or is it a case of filing scraping with a chisel?

One more question has come to light. I've read quite a bit on doing this work, but the wife has started to express concern that I may mess up her parquet flooring.

Has anyone who is strictly DIY sanded and varnaished a parquet floor and if so did it go OK? I'm fairly good at most DIY and can tile bathrooms etc, but obviously I've never done this before. Should it be left to the experts?

Sorry to ask but it has now been made clear to me that my life will not be worth living in the event of a disaster with the parquet flooring :(

kevin_robson said:
Thanks. That is what I wanted to hear.

Going back to the bitumin WoodYouLike, can you clarify what you can use to remove this. Any chemicals or is it a case of filing scraping with a chisel?
Well, there are several ways. You can use chemicals, (someone here mentioned some kind, forgotten what name, sorry) or scraping. I know one how placed blocks in a workbench and chiseled and sanded away whole weekends (but that was a large amount of blocks). As I understand it you have a small amount to clean, so try the chisel method first before 'poisoning' yourself:D
kevin_robson said:
Has anyone who is strictly DIY sanded and varnaished a parquet floor and if so did it go OK? I'm fairly good at most DIY and can tile bathrooms etc, but obviously I've never done this before. Should it be left to the experts?
The main thing with sanding and finishing (either varnishing or oiling) is using proper sanding equipment. You might think you've done a proper job, but when you start applying the finish material any, yes any, sanding mistake, error will show.
Not sure where you're based, but in London there's a company hiring out professional equipment, stay away from the 'normal' DIY drum sanders.

Hope this helps

Thanks, that helps a lot. To be honest I would have gone straight to Hire Shop for the sander so that was a useful tip.

I'm Midlands based but if need be I could always pick on up from London. Who are they and what do I need?

They sound ideal. Despite the hassle I'd rather have a trip to London/Manchester and get the job done properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back