Hearth parquet flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got a newly discovered parquet floor under the carpet of our 1930’s house. There must have been a fireplace on one wall removed by the previous owners and the hearth area has been concreted level to the block floor. The parquet block floor is bedded in bitumen on a solid concrete slab floor.

I’ve dug out the area of the hearth that had been previously levelled with concrete down to what appears to be a red brick base that’s now roughly 25mm below the level of where the surrounding bitumen is that the parquet blocks are sitting on.

How best now to level it to the same as the surrounding bitumen so that I can add in new blocks to finish?

Attachments

• 76BABE49-8269-4043-A7A6-3276849855D0.jpeg
    76BABE49-8269-4043-A7A6-3276849855D0.jpeg
    453.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 65D7844B-450F-4DBB-88FC-885DDE6ACC8E.jpeg
    65D7844B-450F-4DBB-88FC-885DDE6ACC8E.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
My house originally had dwarf walls on either side of French windows. When I bought it the walls and French doors had been removed and concreted over for a patio window.
I chiselled out the concrete, added sand that was tamped down, then a membrane and concrete.
I made a tool that was basically a plank that sat on the existing floor level, and had a block fitted that gave me the correct level to get the concrete to. I could slide it along to smooth the top.
Then once dry I used several coats of synthaprufe/ synthaproof before fitting s/h blocks.

try Facebook local groups for the blocks, some people dig up their floors and bin them.

I’m assuming given the age of the house that the only dp is the bitumen between the concrete slab of the main floor and the blocks sitting on it?

can I level the floor and apply a modern version of the bitumen to the new blocks to perform the same as the existing floor?

Sponsored Links
You should be able to screed it if need be and maybe use blackjack or something similar.

I screenshot this a few days back for something that I may be doing which may help your case.

8D3D04AB-2ADC-41AA-B2BA-21D40CCADDC6.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back