what fittings for hot and cold feeds to thermostatic mixer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have been making a bit of a buggers muddle of connecting the hot and cold feeds to a two outlet bath and shower mixer valve. There are 3 taps on the front controlling flow to bath, flow to shower and hot/cold.

I cut the hole for it (it is concealed) and used 15mm flexible hose with male compression fittings on each end. The one end used the compression fitting and went onto 15mm copper pipe. The other end, i took the olive and the nut off - put ptfe tape on, and screwed it into the hot feed (a female thread in the body of the thermostatic valve).

This joint leaked!

The threads felt a bit loose, even with a good amount of white tape on.

I've looked around on the forum and it seems I should have used boss white plumbers compound instead of white tape...... Is this right?

Also, Ideally i would have wanted to use a right angle fitting, before the flexible pipe, but got into male/male issues - which is why I put the flexible pipe straight into the body of the thermostatic valve!

Is there some sort of fittig I should be using for a better fit? What about a washer?

grateful for any advice...

doing the job tomorrow..... to resolve the slight leak!

rgds

Graham

Sponsored Links
No you need to use the correct fittings

A flexible hose with a 15mm connection is not the same as a 1/2 inch thread you need a 1/2inch by 15mm compression fitting which you can buy in straight or angled then a small piece of pipe into your flexible hose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back