What height can new door thresholds be in existing flats?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question regarding building regulations and adding new doors to a lower ground floor victorian flat (which was part of a house conversion 70 years ago).

I am installing new steps down to a new door and I am considering how low the ground/landing outside the door can be.

I have 3 options so far:

1) the external landing outside the new front door to be 15mm lower than the door threshold, and to form part of steps that go up to street level.
This means that water running down the steps would pass over the landing (outside the door) before sloping away to a garden patio 150mm lower (than the landing) where there is a gulley.

2) Same as 1) except the door sill to be 75mm higher than the external landing.

3) the external landing outside the door to be about 220mm lower than the door threshold.
So you have to step up to the door and over the threshold to get inside.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Fyi, I have also have an existing side access door which opens up to a staircase inside the flat which I am replacing as they are pretty dangerous!

Sponsored Links
There are no regulations that apply in this case, other than your duty in common law to ensure that the threshold does not create a trip hazard for visitors - or slip hazard in terms of dealing with the water.

Generally, raised thresholds or bottoms of uPVC frames should be minimal and any steps should be obvious and clear to avoid creating a trip hazard.

You also need to prevent water penetration if water is running towards the doorway.

Thanks, thats what I was hoping.

Assuming I don't need a level landing outside the an external door, and don't need to comply with Part M (1), I would imagine any step up to a door should be limited to 220mm - which is the maximum rise of a single step in Part K.

Sponsored Links
None of the building regulations will apply, but useful as guidance - or useful as justification.

Whilst 220mm may well be an acceptable standard, whether it is acceptable in any given situation is for you to decide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back