What is this in my ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

So we had a leak from the upstairs bathroom that's ended with a big hole in our kitchen ceiling. Inside the hole there's some weird lining.

It looks as if at some point there was a fire and one of the joists has been scorched and this has been used to wrap the joist, does this sound right? I don't want to remove it and it ending up being something more important...
ECYJe9.jpg

Sponsored Links
More likely a bit of polythene was left under the bath rather than fixing a leak.

Looks a lot like the ESWA ceiling heating in my parents house, which was built in the early 80's.....

Sponsored Links
Ludicrous idea , heating ceilings, worked in flats where it was installed, tenants all complained of poor heating , though ceiling were nice and warm .

Hmmm. I wonder why? Could it be something to do with heat rising, perchance? I know that you can heat downwards by using convection and radiation n, but I can't help thinking that you'd need to use a lot of electricity to do this. Also, when this stuff was in use weren't they using asbestos as insulation? If so be careful how you handle any insulation

That "heating" was used - as said- in the 80's . We had a site ( Housing Association) that I maintained . No one used it, I used to take the fuses out for the tenants. That and on peak " radiators" were fitted . Just to conform to a Gov. directive I guess . Meanwhile all the good solid Council houses were being given away. Then mid 80's a programme from the Gov. Called Domestic Energy Notes 3 made things slightly better with night storage heaters. Between then and now, proper windows, gas heating, combi's were all fitted. ( at least on 1 estate I worked on , near where I live). Good times to be a Social Housing tenant now IMHO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back