1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

What is this in my ceiling?

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by Dynamitebloke, 2 Sep 2020.

1. Dynamitebloke

Dynamitebloke

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

So we had a leak from the upstairs bathroom that's ended with a big hole in our kitchen ceiling. Inside the hole there's some weird lining.

It looks as if at some point there was a fire and one of the joists has been scorched and this has been used to wrap the joist, does this sound right? I don't want to remove it and it ending up being something more important... [​IMG]

2. Sponsored Links
  3. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    More likely a bit of polythene was left under the bath rather than fixing a leak.

4. freddiemercurystwin

freddiemercurystwin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Am I looking at a ceiling from below? Or a floor from above? Rubbish photo.

5. phatboy

phatboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Looks a lot like the ESWA ceiling heating in my parents house, which was built in the early 80's.....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. mrrusty

mrrusty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  8. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ludicrous idea , heating ceilings, worked in flats where it was installed, tenants all complained of poor heating , though ceiling were nice and warm .

• Like Like x 1
  9. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hmmm. I wonder why? Could it be something to do with heat rising, perchance? I know that you can heat downwards by using convection and radiation n, but I can't help thinking that you'd need to use a lot of electricity to do this. Also, when this stuff was in use weren't they using asbestos as insulation? If so be careful how you handle any insulation

10. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That "heating" was used - as said- in the 80's . We had a site ( Housing Association) that I maintained . No one used it, I used to take the fuses out for the tenants. That and on peak " radiators" were fitted . Just to conform to a Gov. directive I guess . Meanwhile all the good solid Council houses were being given away. Then mid 80's a programme from the Gov. Called Domestic Energy Notes 3 made things slightly better with night storage heaters. Between then and now, proper windows, gas heating, combi's were all fitted. ( at least on 1 estate I worked on , near where I live). Good times to be a Social Housing tenant now IMHO.