What kind of conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I`m planning to extend the ring main with 3 additional sockets( to a total of 5 double sockets in the room) to create more flexibility.
The walls are solid brick from which will be 50 mm studs with rockwool insulation between them and plasterboard on top.
The plan is to brake the ring by removing the wire between the 2 sockets that are in the room on the same wall, go from each one straight up to the ceiling with a new cable and around the room. I`ll use 3 junction boxes to drop a single cable for each new socket as spurs.
I`m not sure what conduit to use on the new route between rigid oval PVC or corrugated flexible?
Thank you

Attachments

• electric plan.jpg
    electric plan.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
I'd drop down to each new socket directly and back up and over to the next socket instead of creating spurs and using junction boxes. Oval conduit is probably easier to use with T&E cable.

Oval is convenient if you are chasing into plaster.

But your description suggests you are dry walling so you can run the cables behind the insulation.

Just run the cables horizontally round the room.

With conduit you can cut out for extra sockets later if you wish. Easily if it is a straight run. Very convenient in a kichen or workroom where you want lots of outlets above the worktop.

Sponsored Links
No requirement for conduit ( for t & e cable), as above you can run horizontally between sockets totally legit.
One thing you must check before you start- your new sockets and cabling are now required to be protected by an RCD/RCBO (usually at the consumer unit).

Thank you everyone :)
Unfortunately I can`t run them horizontally due to a very big door 2.5m height (room is 3m height), that`s why I need to go up to the ceiling.
The main ring have already an RCD fitted in consumer unit around 2016.
The conduit it`s more as a future proof in case cables need to be changed and a little bit of extra protection, the junction boxes are more as a fancy and to be straight routes.

Unfortunately I can`t run them horizontally due to a very big door 2.5m height (room is 3m height), that`s why I need to go up to the ceiling.
The door can only be at one position between two of the sockets. The rest can be wired horizontally.

The main ring have already an RCD fitted in consumer unit around 2016.
The conduit it`s more as a future proof in case cables need to be changed and a little bit of extra protection, the junction boxes are more as a fancy and to be straight routes.
(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back