What kind of render is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi on my 1950's semi D i need to have a newly built adjoining garage rendered to match the existing.
The existing render is basically white marble stones/chips(all approx half inch square) bedded into a slightly brown in colour/not particulary flat render....is there a name for this when i start calling guys for quotes?

Also...just to give an idea it is both sides of garage door and above the garage door...a foot either side and about six foot by ten foot above the door...would this take a day or 2 half days or what would be the norm.
Sorry for all questions...no clue about plastering!#
Cheers,
MArty.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like roughcast to me. There are two types, dry and wet. Your type sounds like the dry dash, where it is first coated, alllowed to set and then another coat of render applied and whilst it is still wet the stones/chips are thrown on using a special trowel. The type of aggregate and stones are synonymous to the available materials in the area.

Cheers Guys...sorry havent been able to get a pic but the existing render is about 50 years old...rang a few fellas and they all seem to know what it is and reckon its aneasy job for them...pity they wont come round and actually do it tho!!

Sponsored Links
Under no circumstances see youtube on the subject of wall render, they won't like it !

You know in Ireland they throw some quaint stuff on their walls. Huge chips and an open cast with a lot of the background mortar exposed. First time I saw it I thought someone had attempted it unwittingly . Then I saw it again and again through many towns far apart.

Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back