What material to backfill post hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to backfill concrete post which has been postcreted.

I have the following materials and would like to know what would be ideal for back filling

1. Clay - small amount, originally removed for ground

2. Soil with pieces of brick originally removed from ground

3. Ballast

4. Building sand

Sponsored Links
Chavs are good to use for filling holes!

Sponsored Links
You're meant to fill the hole with the postcrete. If you've got a gap between the hole and the postcrete, you've dug your hole too big or not used enough postcrete.

They look better if you make a little wooden box as formwork round the top, so there is just a neat small square collar (if anything) visible above ground. A great blob of concrete, if your hole was untidily dug, gets in the way of future gardening and looks unsightly.

Moisten the earth and ram it down very hard once the concrete has cured, so the concrete plug is well supported all round. Digging is liable to loosen the ground.

Postcrete is not actually as strong as a good regular mix.

Whatever you use now it won't bond properly with the existing postcrete, should have all been poured at once. I daresay I'm not the only one to have a scramble to nip off to the nearest supplier to grab an extra bag before the stuff in the hole went off.

Mix your ballast, your sandwich, and your pieces of brick (minus the soil) with a shovel full of cement.

Yes, bloody autocorrect! Lol!

Definitely don't use sandwiches, they just attract the chavs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back