What metal is a radiator/towel rail - safe to "dip&quot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The paint on our central heating bathroom towel rail is flaking off and I plan to remove it, strip and re-paint. Just looking at the metal beneath the flaked paint it shows no sign of rust and is a silvery/bronze colour. Just wondering what metal these are normally made from - I thought it would be steel but the "copper hue" has be doubting that. Just wondering, as I was planning to send it to the dippers for paint removal rather than strip it manually with a blow torch. So just want to check whether the metal will resist the chemicals they use (sodium hydroxide?) or be damaged in the procedure.

Thanks for any advice

John

Sponsored Links
Normal radiators are made of mild steel. Painted towel rails are also mild steel. Chrome rails are usually brass. Just possibly you have a copper plated steel rail?

Often if the paint is stripped off a steel rad they seem to have a blueish hue but that may be as a result of whatever people have used to strip it with. Its quite attractive and I have seen one that had been clear varnished to maintain the colour.

Whilst I am sure it will not spoil the towel rail if its stripped, its a lot of work to go to for most people when its so cheap to buy a nice chrome one!

If you must get it stripped professionally then I advise you to put water tight plugs in the holes first.

Tony

Normal radiators are made of mild steel. Painted towel rails are also mild steel. Chrome rails are usually brass. Just possibly you have a copper plated steel rail?

If you must get it stripped professionally then I advise you to put water tight plugs in the holes first.

Tony

Thanks Tony - it does look copper plated to me. I had planned to fit bung ends onto the holes for dipping. That is little work for me and only costs about £15. The radiator paint in spray cans will make the painting easy too.

John

Test with a magnet to see if its steel.

Tony

Sponsored Links
If it was chrome plated originally and the chrome is flaking off! it will be nikel plating you can see!
Chrome plating goes on top of nikel plating and is a light brown in colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back