what mitre saw size for straight cut 2 x 4 and 45 degree cut 2 x 4?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to get a mitre saw for my shed. I’m in the UK which means our choices for size are basically 185mm, 210mm, and 255mm for blade size.

I basically just need it for cutting 2x4s at straight/cross cut and at a 45 degree (but not bevel) cut.

Can the 210mm (8.25”) blade do this reasonably or do I need to get the 255mm (10”) blade?

Sponsored Links
I do cuts up to about 6-1/2 x 2in on a 216mm DW mitre saw. I can do 2-1/2in thick on it, too

I do cuts up to about 6-1/2 x 2in on a 216mm DW mitre saw. I can do 2-1/2in thick on it, too

Thanks for the quick response. That’s helpful.

Is it sliding or fixed? And are you talking just straight cuts or the diagonals on a 2x6 as well?

Sponsored Links
Sliding and I do make mitre cuts. As to "big is best", there speaks a man who's never spent weeks on a site lugging a chop saw stand and vacuum round from location to location, often several moves each day, doing snagging or catch up work when it wasn't actually necessary to have even a 10in/250mm saw (on modern 2nd fix work not really needed most of the time). Your back gets very old, very fast lugging even a 10in/250mm saw about, let alone a 12in/300mm one

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back