What pipes to insulate under floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing my kitchen floor and altering some wiring so while I'm under the floor I was considering insulating the heating pipes to reduce heat loss. Only using the cheap grey foam that's about 99p for a metre. Also offers frost protection. Then it dawned on me about the cold water main coming in. Should I insulate that as well to prevent any damage from frost and cold temperatures? It may seem a daft question but the incoming water main is lead. Would this pose any kind of problem or risk if I insulated it? The pipe may go under ground inside the house which if it does I obviously can't insulate it. Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Yer the lead pipe needs replacing but I don't fancy spending thousands when we may move in the next 3 to 5 years. If the pipe goes straight from the outside stop tap then previous house owners built a small extension on the side of the house where the cold water main runs. That's if it goes straight from the stop tap and then bends into the house further down

Sponsored Links
Also can I use expanding foam around a lead pipe? It won't affect it any way will it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back