pipe insulation and mice !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Under my ground floor are multiple central heating pipes. Microbore pipes, with to/from feeding each radiator individually. As there are air vents, it's pretty cold/draughty down there. So, I insulate them.

Trouble is, field mice come in each winter and tear the insulation to bits! Whether they use the foam for nesting or to eat it I have no idea. So every two years or so I have to replace the insulation.

Anyone know of a proprietory pipe insulation that's designed to repel mice? Or something I can paint on the foam to do the same job? Otherwise next week's carpet/floorboard lifting operation will be yet another temporary fix!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
You could try the pipe lagging with a foil outer, I think Kingspan make it and rather than being your conventional spongy lagging it is more like hardened expanding foam

Wait till the summer comes (No Mice) and fit stainless expended steel over the vents to stop em getting in !

Sponsored Links
You could forget the insulation which will get gnawed at again and again...

why not add Sentinnel X500 inhibited antifreze to your system, and then the pipes shouldn't freeze.

You might want to add some bedding material for the mice though, they will feel the cold.

sorry i still have difficulty hearing you , you seem to be shouting for some reason ?? you need to calm down !

I can only conclude that it might be down to excessive amounts of self abuse may be ?? :) perhaps going to bed with boxing gloves on might be something you should consider !

Thanks everyone. This thread has been a real education!

For the two suggestions that made any sense, I'm grateful.

For the rest..... well, not my sense of humour but you all seem to be having a fun time, so keep it up!

Now, about the tadpoles in my hot water cylinder.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back