difficult pipe insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a house where none of the central heating pipes have been insulated.

Today I lifted one of the floor boards on the ground floor. The 22mm pipes underneath runs tight against the floor board so without chiselling more out of the joists there is no room to put any foam pipe insulation. There is not even enough room to put felt.

Is there anybody who can suggest an alternative insulation that I can use? I realise I will probably still be heating the floor but at least I no longer be heating the ground.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
No easy solution is available - victim of a cowboy or DIY install I'm afraid!
BTW there a rules about cutting into joists ! ;)

Hi

Insulate what you can with pipe insulation. Cut a suitable track out for the joist and use carpet adhesive to keep it on. Anything on the pipe is better than nothing.

HTH

I have no intention of cutting anything more from the joist for a number of reasons. I shall however be doing what I can with cut down foam insulation. May be some gaffer tape will be good for keeping it in place.

The person who put in the central heating had some interesting ideas. Under the floor boards on the 15mm heating pipes to the radiators there are gate valves that needless to say are leaking ever so slightly. I understand the benefit of isolating radiators but why on earth would someone put a valve of any kind where no one can get at without lifting both flooring and floorboards?

Sponsored Links
Is there anybody who can suggest an alternative insulation that I can use? I realise I will probably still be heating the floor but at least I no longer be heating the ground.

Slice the insulation accordingly so it insulates the ground side, but doesn't impinge pn the boards, and sercure with cable ties. Probably quicker and easier than tape

I understand the benefit of isolating radiators but why on earth would someone put a valve of any kind where no one can get at without lifting both flooring and floorboards?

Possibly a replacement radiator was installed and the installer 'snatched' a valve on the pipework to avoid draining the system. ;)

if you can get under the floor, you can stuff pieces of loft quilt up against the floor between the joists, so the pipe will be insulated from the subfloor cavity.

If you do the whole floor like that, it will reduce draughts as well as improving insulation of the floor. It is especially worthwhile round the edges of the room.

Getting under the whole floor is not practical unfortunately. I only wish it was. But you do give me an idea which is to put some rock wool insulation on the ground. I would like some advice to see if it will cause damp problems.

I'm not sure that thermawrap will be good by itself as it not as good at insulating as foam pipe insulation. However what I might do is cut the pipe insulation in half then wrap it in thermawrap. I need to check but there might be just enough room between the top of the pipe and the bottom of the floor board.

I agree ties will be easier that gaffer tape. I shall see about using them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back