What pump to replace this Grundfos underfloor heating pump and how difficult is it to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys -

I have read other threads about the complexity of replacing the pump oneself but was wondering how hard it would be to replace mine specifically? I've attached a picture.

Basically, it makes a very loud grinding noise when its running. Not sure if the whole pump needs replacing or just the head. Any advice would be massively appreciated.

If it's too difficult to do for someone with limited plumbing skills, please advise which pump to buy so my plumber doesn't gouge me.

If you cant see the picture, the pump says: Type UPS 15-50 130 P/N: 59525600, 230V~, 50Hz, 2 uF (some weird little sign, not uF exactly), PC:0401, Selectric.

Many Thanks,

Josh

Attachments

• grundfos pump.jpg
    grundfos pump.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 399
Sponsored Links
If you don't trust your plumber to charge you a fair rate, get a new plumber.

You should be able to just change the head

please advise which pump to buy so my plumber.....

Why would he gouge you?

Sorry seem to have struck a cord.

I live in London and some of the people I've dealt with in the past have charged well above market rate for parts. I replaced a garbage disposal a few years back and he charged me 250£ for the unit plus his labour. 5 years later, I bought the same one at Homebase for 125£ and changed it myself.

And yes, this was from a reputable company. It's hard to find a local plumber where I am in London, esp. one that doesn't overcharge for parts (only in my experience, maybe untrue).

Sponsored Links
If you don't trust your plumber to charge you a fair rate, get a new plumber.

You should be able to just change the head
Is changing the head quite simple? How can I tell if I need to change the whole thing rather than just the head?

Why would he gouge you?

I live in London and some of the people I've dealt with in the past have charged well above market rate for parts. I replaced a garbage disposal a few years back and he charged me 250£ for the unit plus his labour. 5 years later, I bought the same one at Homebase for 125£ and changed it myself.

And yes, this was from a reputable company. It's hard to find a local plumber where I am in London, esp. one that doesn't overcharge for parts (only in my experience, maybe untrue).
How do you know that the price hadn't just reduced in the intervening five years?

Why would he gouge you?

How do you know that the price hadn't just reduced in the intervening five years?

Jesus Christ dude - get a life. I didn't say all plumbers were ripoff artists, but just speaking from a bad experience and wanted to buy parts myself in advance.

Seriously, what do you gain by hijacking this thread with your BS?

I really didn't.... all i said was I didn't want to be gouged which is totally fair. Not all plumbers are as honest (or sanctimonious) as you.

Do you just go through threads here looking for ways to be offended by off-hand comments?

Dude - I really didn't say anything rude. I just don't know where to find a great plumber. 3 different plumbers in the past 5 years have overcharged me.

I live in a very expensive part of London - some less than ethical plumbers take advantage of the fact that their clients don't know anything. It's a fact of life. I'm honest, but a lot of people in my profession are crooks, that has no reflection on me, nor do my experiences have any reflection on you or plumber generally.

Provided:
1. There is another gate valve on the pipe immediately to the left of the pump
AND
2. Both gate valves actually work

Then you should be able to change the pump yourself.

Isolate electricity supply to pump and the junction box where it is connected.

Shut both gate valves, unscrew pump nuts, remove pump. Install new pump with supplied new washers. Don't use any lubricant / silicone on washers, particularly if they are rubber. New pump must pump in same direction as old pump (arrow on side of body shows direction). If it doesn't, as supplied, remove motor and impeller by undoing 4 Allen bolts, rotate body to get correct direction and replace bolts.

Remove connection box cover from old pump, disconnect wires. Connect wires to new pump. Done.

I'd personally use the equivalent Grundfos pump. Can't remember what its called but something like UPS 15-50/60. Somewhere in the region of £100 to £120

Possible snags:

a. One or both gate valves don't shut off. Give up and pay a professional to do it.
b. Pump nuts very stiff. Get assistance to hold pump body, and the body of the gate valve (each in turn). You'll need decent spanners / grips.
c. If there is any risk you'll cause a leak where either or both gate valve join the pipe-work, get a professional.

Provided:
1. There is another gate valve on the pipe immediately to the left of the pump
AND
2. Both gate valves actually work

Then you should be able to change the pump yourself.

Isolate electricity supply to pump and the junction box where it is connected.

Shut both gate valves, unscrew pump nuts, remove pump. Install new pump with supplied new washers. Don't use any lubricant / silicone on washers, particularly if they are rubber. New pump must pump in same direction as old pump (arrow on side of body shows direction). If it doesn't, as supplied, remove motor and impeller by undoing 4 Allen bolts, rotate body to get correct direction and replace bolts.

Remove connection box cover from old pump, disconnect wires. Connect wires to new pump. Done.

I'd personally use the equivalent Grundfos pump. Can't remember what its called but something like UPS 15-50/60. Somewhere in the region of £100 to £120

Possible snags:

a. One or both gate valves don't shut off. Give up and pay a professional to do it.
b. Pump nuts very stiff. Get assistance to hold pump body, and the body of the gate valve (each in turn). You'll need decent spanners / grips.
c. If there is any risk you'll cause a leak where either or both gate valve join the pipe-work, get a professional.
Thanks - gonna test the valves but if they're not great will call a pro.

OK your waste disposal unit.

So he charged you £125 for the unit and £105 plus VAT to fit it. They usually take at least an hour. Why do you consider that unreasonable? He does have to get to you and had to go and buy the unit.

ve parts are also expensive/impossible to park in somewhere like Mayfair inside the charging zone too.

"""It's hard to find a local plumber where I am in London""" Surely that is because plumbers don't charge so much that they can afford to live in Mayfair.

But we do travel! I go to difficult and expensive areas by tube. That eliminates driving and parking costs.

So I just don't believe you when you say you cannot find a local plumber bearing in mind that "local" in London is usually thought of as within six miles.

While talking about plumbers, how much do you think a plumber should earn? Lets give you a few figures? £15k £25k £35k £ 45k £55k £65k £75k £85k £95k ?

Tony

OK your waste disposal unit.

So he charged you £125 for the unit and £105 plus VAT to fit it. They usually take at least an hour. Why do you consider that unreasonable? He does have to get to you and had to go and buy the unit.

ve parts are also expensive/impossible to park in somewhere like Mayfair inside the charging zone too.

"""It's hard to find a local plumber where I am in London""" Surely that is because plumbers don't charge so much that they can afford to live in Mayfair.

But we do travel! I go to difficult and expensive areas by tube. That eliminates driving and parking costs.

So I just don't believe you when you say you cannot find a local plumber bearing in mind that "local" in London is usually thought of as within six miles.

While talking about plumbers, how much do you think a plumber should earn? Lets give you a few figures? £15k £25k £35k £ 45k £55k £65k £75k £85k £95k ?

Tony

I said 250 plus labour.

I appreciate there are high costs in being a plumber and never once disputed the labour costs. My initial post was hardly inflammatory, all I wanted was to save a few pounds given I'd been ripped off in the past.

Yes, picking up parts obviously costs a bit more but I just wanted to avoid being ripped off (congestion, gas, parking and time at a shop doesn't make up the difference in pricing).

I don't mind paying for labour.

That said, u people are too sensitive and awful. Thanks for the good advice from a few and the rest of you, really life is too short.

I said 250 plus labour.

You actually said "he charged me 250£ for the unit plus his labour".

I interpret that as meaning "he charged me £250 for [ the unit plus his labour]".

We will need the advice from an engineer with a degree in English Literature to give a professional view of what the correct interpretation of that should really be.

But it does just show how careful we have to be when writing quotations.

"""I live in a very expensive part of London - some less than ethical plumbers take advantage of the fact that their clients don't know anything. It's a fact of life. I'm honest, but a lot of people in my profession are crooks, that has no reflection on me, nor do my experiences have any reflection on you or plumbers generally.""""

Would you care to share your location and profession with us?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back